School of Music

Organ Studio

Historic Instruments


The University of Florida School of Music maintains a number of historic instruments that are available for student use:

Herz Double Harpsichord
Built for the University of Florida by Eric Herz, Boston, in 1967, this concert harpsichord is in the eighteenth-century English/German style. The double manual instrument has pedal register action and a compass of FF-g3. Manual I has three sets of strings: 16', 8', and 4'; Manual II has two 8' sets of strings. The instrument has lute, buff, and inter-manual coupler.

Kingston Single Harpsichords
The SoM has two Kingston Single Harpsichords:

  • Often rented by area music ensembles, the School of Music's Kingston single harpsichord was built for the University of Florida by Richard Kingston, Marshall, NC, in 1980. In the 17th-century Flemish style, the instrument has a compass of BB-d3, two 8' sets of strings, buffs, and a transposing keyboard. 
     
  • UF's second Kingston single harpsichord is a bequest from the estate of Jeffrey Wyke (BM ’82; MFA ’84). While a student at UF, Mr. Wyke was impressed by the aforementioned Kingston harpsichord housed in the School of Music. After graduating, Jeffrey commissioned the renowned builder Richard Kingston to build a new instrument.

Neupert Single Harpsichord
Recently restored, this harpsichord was built by J.C. Neupert

Hubbard French Double Harpsichord
Donated by Mark Goldstein, Ph.D., this harpsichord was built from a Hubbard kit by master craftsman Ron Weigert. The instrument has three ranks of jacks, three sets of strings (two 8' and one 4'), and one buff stop. The keyboard and lid interior were painted during construction in the manner of Dufour (soundboard) and Vermeer (lid interior). 

1863 Chickering Grand
UF's Chickering grand piano is a straight-strung 'angel wing' instrument with rosewood case and 2-pedal action. The piano was built by the Chickering & Sons, Boston, ca. 1863 and was originally sold to J.H. Heidley, Albany, NY, in 1864. The instrument was a gift to UF's School of Music by Dr. and Mrs. John Koogler in 1997.  

Connect with the School of Music

Keep up with the latest news about faculty, alumni, friends and current students.