Theatre Connect ONLINE! Summer 2021
Join us Tuesday evenings, 6:30-8:15 pm, from May 11 - June 29 for our fourth virtual season of Theatre Connect, via Zoom!
Explore theatre and meet new friends in an LGBTQIA+ affirming environment. Summer Season registration due May 10 at 12pm.
The UF Center for Arts in Medicine created Theatre Connect in the Summer of 2017 as a unique theatrical adventure for LGBTQ+ teens in partnership with the UF Health Youth Gender Clinic. This program has grown and evolved over 10 seasons to what it is today: an LGBTQ+ affirming theatre group that combines games and exercises with storytelling and discussion to build a safe, friendly, and creative community!
All of our Theatre Connect crew are trained theatre professionals and are background checked by the University of Florida Office of Youth Compliance Services to preserve our participants' wellbeing and safety. While Theatre Connect is not a therapy or support group, we do everything we can to protect the well-being of our cast during rehearsals. That's why we partner with the UF College of Education Mental Health Counselor Training program to ensure every activity is co-facilitated by a mental health counselor who can provide mental health first-aid, confidential on-demand counseling, and referrals as needed.
No previous theatre experience is required to join our cast and all abilities are welcome. Please click here to register!
All participants must attend the first Tuesday of the season to secure their spot in the cast. We cannot allow participants to join without online registration, a signed liability form, and first-day attendance.
Every season of Theatre Connect begins by inviting the cast members (participants) to "make the rules." These group agreements give everyone a voice in building a safe and supportive environment. The cast also develops individual goals to help guide the crew in selecting the activities for weekly rehearsals. Theatre Connect emphasizes voluntary participation, self-care, and fun. Activities may include:
- Improvisational theatre
- Story-telling and world-building
- Character development
- Costume and prop design
- Confidence-building and stage presence
- Playwriting and dialogue
- Directing and team-building
At the end of each eight-week season, we produce an invite-only Showcase where the cast is able to show off what they've learned and direct their friends and family members through their favorite games and scenes. We look forward to having you join our cast this season!
IMPORTANT: Please complete the following steps to register for Theatre Connect
- Complete the online registration form.
- Sign liability waiver and photo release; check participant and first emergency contact email(s) for links 72 hours after registering.
- Attend the first night of Theatre Connect to secure your spot in the cast.
- NOTE: We cannot admit participants who do not complete all three steps above.
- Time & Location
- Time/Day: 6:30-8:15pm EST | Tuesday Nights.
- Location: During COVID-19 we will meet online via Zoom.
- The program is FREE of charge.
This FREE virtual season of Theatre Connect is made possible thanks to the Bradley S. and Marta E. Pollitt Family and the generous contributions of the Marta & Bradley Pollitt Fund!
We are also pleased to thank the Florida Division of Cultural Affairs, Satchel's Pizza, and the UF Health Shands Arts in Medicine program for providing the program funding and resources which make this program possible. If you'd like to support our program please contact email@example.com with the subject, "Theatre Connect Donation" to become a sponsor or one-time donor.
- Jeff Pufahl - Faculty Supervisor & Co-director
- Camilo Reina Munoz - Co-director, MA Arts in Medicine
- Dr. Hannah Bayne - Mental Health Counselor & Supervisor
- Holland Hall - Co-facilitator, Mental Health
- Luke Harness - Co-facilitator, Mental Health
- Kylie Wheeler - Co-facilitator, Theatre Intern
- Cai Husband - Peer Mentor
For more information, contact the Center for Arts in Medicine at CAM@arts.ufl.edu or call 352.273.1488
This program is in compliance with the UF Office of Youth Compliance Services guidelines for youth protection and privacy: https://oycs.ufsa.ufl.edu/